What is Present Continuous Tense with examples
What is Present Continuous Tense?
Present Continuous Tense is used to express an action which is in progress. It expresses a continued or ongoing action at present time. The action in Present Continuous Tense takes place at the time of speaking or in current time. Present Continuous Tense is also called Present progressive tense. For example if a person says,” I am going to the market”. It means that he is in the process of going to the market. This kind of actions happens in the current time and thus expressed by present continuous tense.
Basic Rule for Present Continuous Tense
Subject +is/am/are(Helping Verb)+1ST Verb+ Ing+ Object
Is –> (He, She, It, any Name,Singular noun
Am –> I Are –>(We, They, You, Plural Noun)
Also Read: Complete Rules of Present Continuous Tense.
Structure of Present Continuous Tense with Examples
Positive Sentence in the Present Continuous Tense
In positive sentences, we simply make the sentences according to Present Continuous Tense rules.
- He is walking.
- She is doing well.
- I am playing basketball.
- You are teaching me the lesson.
- I am buying a new car for my son.
Negative Sentences in the Present Continuous Tense
When we make negative sentences, we normally use not after auxiliary verb.
Negative Present continuous tense = Subject+ is/am/are+ not + 1st Verb+ ing +Object
- He is not playing video game.
- I am not coming to the party tonight.
- Mark is not working hard for his coming exams.
- A monkey is not jumping on the tree.
Shelly is not speaking to me due to some personal reasons.
Yes/No Questions in the Present Continuous Tense
When you make any question that can be answered as yes or no, then you should start it with auxiliary verb followed by the subject and the base verb +ing.
Yes/No Sentences = Is/Am/ Are + Subject + 1st Verb+ing +Object ?
- Am I going to the conference with you?
- Are you making joke on me?
- Is it still raining outside?
- Are you reading this book?
- Is she missing me so badly?
Wh- Questions in the Present Continuous Tense
When you make any question that starts with wh word, then you should start it from wh word and then add auxiliary verb, after that Subject followed by base form + ing.
Wh words are when, why, who, where, whom, how, what, how much, how many.
WH Sentences = Wh word + is/am/are + Subject + 1st Verb + ing +Object?
- Who are you looking at?
- Where is he living in America?
- Why are you playing in the house?
- When is Steve coming back from England?
- What are you doing these days?
Tag Questions in the Present Continuous Tense
Tag questions are those questions which are answered at the end of the sentence. They can be simply made by adding auxiliary verbs.
- I am going to the market, aren’t you?
- She is very sweat, isn’t she?
- You can also use tag questions in positive sentences
- She is not reading news paper, is she?
- Those girls are not play basketball, are they?
More Examples to unfold some other aspects
- Why are you not doing anything?
- I am not working in the company now.
- Why are you not studying in the class?
- Am I not looking gorgeous today?
- Is she not coming to the birth day party tonight?
- Are you all boys not leaving this ground right now?
I hope you have enjoyed this article and get what you wanted. So this is the present continuous tense with examples. If you feel any problem regarding this topic then comment below so that we can solve out your problems.