Articles in English grammar, types and their rules: Basically articles are used to give a specification to the nouns. Articles are very common in English grammar. Articles are important not just because of English speaking but there are many competitive exams in which articles are asked. So it becomes necessary for everyone to have the complete knowledge about the articles. Here I am writing this post Articles in English grammar, types and their rules for giving you the comprehensive knowledge about articles. So this post | Articles in English grammar, types and their rules | is given below.
Articles in English Grammar, types and their rules
Articles in English Grammar
Articles are used to give some specification to nouns. They are placed only before nouns. The words a,an and the are called articles. Now it is upon you that how you choose article noun-by-noun in any sentence.
That is a table.
I have an umbrella.
He is the best teacher.
There are two types of articles given below
A and An are indefinite because these articles do not point to any specific place, person and thing.
This is a boy.
He is having an onion.
The is definite because this article points to any specific place, person and thing.
The Ganga is a holly river.
Basically you will have four choice in a sentence that whether you can use a,an,the and no article. For the use of articles one must follow a guideline of rules that which article will be used where will be used.
Now we have some rules that how and when to use these articles for making the sentence correct.
Use of A and An
- A is used before any consonant. When any word sounds like consonant then a is used.
Eg. A ball, a bag, a book, a cat, a laptop.
Note: When any consonant sounds like “U” but it starts with e and u then a is used in place of an.
Eg. A uniform, A European women
When any consonant sounds like “V” but it starts with o then a is used in place of an.
Eg. A one rupee note, a one-eyed man.
2. An is used before any vowel. When any word sounds like vowel then an is used.
Eg. An onion, an elephant, an important task.
Note: When any consonant sounds like vowel then an is used. Eg. An M.P., an M.L.A
Any singular noun which start with silent h. Eg. An hotel, an honest person.
Use of the
- Before Universal truth.
- Before stars. Eg. The sun, the moon, the earth.
- Before directions when preposition is given before them. Eg. The sun set in the west and rises in the east.
- Before Countries, Provinces. Eg. The USA, The Haryana.
- Before Religious books, newspapers, magazines. Eg. The Gita, The Hindu.
- Before Nations and communities. Eg. The English, The Hindus.
- Any singular noun which is used for the whole cast. Eg. The Dolphin is very clever fish
So these are the Articles in English grammar, types and their rules.
I hope this article will help you in learning English. If you feel any problem then hit the comment button so that we can help you in learning English Grammar.