What is modal in English grammar with examples? Modals are the special type of verb that behaves in an irregular manner in English grammar. According to most linguistics, there are around 10 central modals in English. They are different from the normal verbs which are used in our spoken or written English. In Modals we have can, could, may, might, ought, will, would, used, should, shall etc. Modals can indicate different kind of mood feelings and states. We have written this article what is modal in English grammar with examples to give you the complete knowledge about the modals.
What is modal in English Grammar with examples?
What is Modal?
Modals are the helping (auxiliary) verbs that combine with another verb to indicate tense or mood. Modals (also known as modal auxiliary) are used to express
Modal verbs are unlike verb (i.e. run, sleep, climb etc). Modals don’t have s, ing and –en or infinitive forms. Let’s see some examples according to the mood or feeling so that you can get a good overview that what modals are?
One uses can or could to indicate the ability. Let’s take few examples for it.
- John can speak five languages.
- My aunty could not play football.
- She can’t wait more.
I could break that record.
One uses them when they want to say how sure they are about anything which is happening/ will happen. Let’s take an example for it.
- John must be outside the garden.
- My aunty could have missed the bus.
- She can’t be the student of the year.
Obligation and Advice
One uses must or should to indicate the obligation and advice. It shows that whether the task is necessary or unnecessary. Let’s take few examples for it.
- Steve must speak to her chairman.
- You have to play the game.
- Jacqueline should stop smoking.
- One must work hard to get good result.
One uses can, could and may to ask for the permission. Let’s take few examples for it.
- Could you please open the door?
- You may not drive the bike to night.
- Can I talk to her for some time?
- May I get that glass of water?
One uses will, would and used to to indicate the habit. Let’s take an example for it.
- Mark will always be lazy.
- She used to smoke daily.
So this was all about What is modal in English grammar with examples? If you feel any problem regarding this Modals then comment below so that we can solve out your problems.